Monday, December 28, 2009

Morning After Blues and Reds

I figured that I would be writing on "AVATAR" this morning. But I saw that the film grossed $212 Million in its first five days so it would appear that there's no one left for me to tell about it. I praised the story in my sermon yesterday and now kinda wish I hadn't. Not because I have had a change of heart but because the scope of the film really doesn't lend itself to five minute summaries. I only hope that the people in the parish pursue any questions that the comments might have inspired.

One interesting thing that I will share is that the film immediately reminded me of "Dances with Wolves" not only because the subject matter was similar but because of the way that I felt after the film was over. I saw Costner's film the night it opened with my wife and another couple who were close friends. I remember feeling strongly that what we had just experienced was much more than a movie. That there was a mythical transcendence about the story and the message (or messages) within it. I felt as though I understood. I also sensed that understanding would demand a lingering sense of sadness and regret. And I frankly doubted that my movie-going companions would be up to this. And indeed what most people recall about that film was the cinematography.

"AVATAR" is a little different because twenty years later, it is nearly impossible to make a film that is not first about entertainment. And yet, the elements are still there. This is a story that people should experience. It is transcendent. But unlike "Dances with Wolves," the transcendence is more hopeful. I am not yet sure what this means but if $212 million worth of people have already seen this story, it will be interesting to see if its legacy transcends the dazzling technological marvel. The element of hope that the story offers is quite powerful and well beyond the cheesy examples that we have come to expect from feel-good movies. People will no-doubt feel good after seeing "AVATAR" but they will have also witnessed something pretty new in the process. I hope people allow their hearts to weigh the story.

Speaking of which... We just finished the annual pilgrimage to Bethlehem--which for many is a lot like going to the movies. And because most people don't see the need to see a movie more than once a year, my expectations are generally pretty low for the Sunday after Christmas. Yet much to my surprise, the Whos were out in numbers yesterday. Despite the commercial overkill and the now familiar anticlimactic thud that arrives on the 25th, the faithful of Saint Francis were there to greet the actual season of Christmas... The fanfare had come and gone; yet, the people returned. Puzzling...

And the Grinch, with his Grinch-feet ice cold in the snow, stood puzzling and puzzling, how could it be so? It came without ribbons. It came without tags. It came without packages, boxes or bags. And he puzzled and puzzled 'till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store? What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more?

Here are some more comments on the wonder that is Christmas.
http://quotations.about.com/od/specialdays/a/christmas5.htm

No comments: