Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Right Brain; Left Brain

I took a series of psychological tests as part of my candidacy for ministry--a good idea I think. It can be annoying to spend three hours getting your head examined but if you have a need to get up in front of people every week to talk about God, then it seems a reasonable request... I heard somewhere that Jim Jones wanted badly to be a United Methodist pastor but he got derailed somewhere in the process...

There are a lot of tests out there. You take them for work or for personal growth or curiosity. Now some of these are a little invasive for me. [Hmmm, Mr. Evans, tell me more...] But I find the personality tests interesting. They're just about everywhere today. They range from complicated, detailed and expensive to simple, ten-question forms that you can fill out on the Interet. BTW, you kinda get what you pay for here. If you really want to know what makes you tick, it will probably cost you at least a little time and money.

I am not promoting the tests here but I am often fascinated by the realities that they seem to reveal. If you're fairly honest in answering the questions, you can learn a little about the wiring and the preferences that drive you. There are, of course, a handful of groupings and many subtle subcatagories but generally all this takes place across a continuum revealing our need and/or appreciation for structure. Some of us like our desk orderly while others of us have yet to notice that we have a desk. [Did you notice that I just took a pretty complicated subject (human personality) and reduced it to a yardstick.]

Like most people, I do not fit entirely on one side of the yardstick but I certainly have tendencies. I am a word guy, an idea guy. I can talk about four things at the same time and seemlessly fit them all together. But ask me to do something with them... Let's just say that I struggle a bit with the romance.

Nevertheless I've come to appreciate those on the other side of the ruler. I may not get excited about the process itself but I do see the value of the person who plans and I am fascinated by their capacity to turn goals, objectives and drawings into something that actually appears in the world. That's a very cool thing!

Of course, we need each other--we dreamers and doers. I am grateful for the many people who have to put up with me on their road to accomplishing things. And I hope that in some way I am making their trip a little more meaningful or enjoyable or at least funny.

No comments: