Monday, August 30, 2010

Porcelain

I just finished an email. I've been corresponding with a friend about the "Restoring Honor" rally recently held in Washington, D.C. He's rightfully concerned over the use of language. People, and especially people of power, understand the importance of language. The words we use, the stories we tell, and the ways in which we bring the past to the present is powerful stuff. Or, to put it more directly, in any given argument, the one who controls the language tends to win the day.

This is why the rally and the storyline leading up to it has caused great deal of commotion. There is emotion tied up with our understanding of the past and the way that we name our histories. Following is a paragraph from the email that I sent to my friend. In an effort to avoid some of the sharper emotional edges of this debate, I have sought to avoid the details and focus on what I think is an important but largely missed component of all this...

...This is the political cynicism that I am increasingly disturbed by. It is one thing for people like you and I (folks who have no real power) to be cynical about the decisions and directions. It’s playful and helps us blow off steam… But it is quite another thing for folks like Rupert Murdock, Rahm Emanuel or Joel Osteen. These are people who have significant influence. I am concerned less by people with strong opinions than I am with whether or not these strong opinions are genuine. As strange as it might sound, I’d feel better if these people truly believed in whatever agendas they’re espousing. As it is, I am afraid that they’re a bit more concerned with public opinion--the new expediency.. This is the great secret of the political environment of our time. It is the secret of an unaccountable life. Do whatever it takes and paint it any way you like because no one’s really watching--except, of course, the people that you are trying to win over... This is the take I have on the current spectacle. That people get money and affirmation to tell others what they have “tuned-in” to hear... Something comes to mind about the world's oldest profession...

Cynicism is scary stuff... And it's sad because we work on it so hard.

Hey, you've got a lot of nerve
to show your face around here.
Hey, you've got a lot of nerve
to dredge up all my fears.
Well, I wish I could shake some sense into you
and walk out the door.
But your skin is like porcelain.
Yeah, your skin is like porcelain.

Just the other day I felt I had you by a string.
Just the other day I felt we could be everything.
But now when I see you, you're somebody else.
In somebody's eyes and your skin...
But your skin is like porcelain.
Yeah, your skin is like porcelain.

I don't know what I'm saying.
Well, I don't know if you're there.
In the words you are feigning.
Do you even care?

Well I wish I could kill you,
savor the sight.
Get in to my car, drive into the night.
Then lie as I scream to the heavens above.
That I was the last one you ever loved.
Yes, your skin is like porcelain.


"Porcelain" Better Than Ezra

No comments: