Monday, October 24, 2011

More than a whisper

Sometimes God sends us just the right surprise at just the right time. These are gifts that sustain us or, at least, provide us sustenance along the journey. These can come in a number of forms--usually one that makes some kind of sense to us.

I've lately been reading a book entitled, "The Perks of Being a Wallflower." The story is simple really. It is essentially a novel told in the form of a diary. Charlie has recently entered high school and he is something of a freak. Or, at least, he is told as much by his older sister--and perhaps half the kids in the school he attends, though he doesn't mention this in the diary. Of course, what makes Charlie freaky is simply the fact that he does not fit with whatever it is that identifies the center-point of the world that he must navigate. As this world continues to unfold before him, Charlie feels its weight. Maybe we all do; but we don't all write about it. Most of us don't even talk about it.

For Charlie, the gifts along his journey often come to him in the form of what he calls good music. There is nothing more valuable in Charlie's life than a thoughtfully considered mix-tape. Even in my forties, I can greatly relate. Sometimes I get the sense that there is no one who could stand to hear about all the stuff going on inside my head--except maybe God. But I figure even he gets sick of hearing from me--at least about some things. So I guess every now and then, he sends me a good mix tape.

Here are some of the treasure maps that have kept me going and reminded me that I am not the only freak out there.
so i stumble home at night
like i've stumbled through my life
with ghosts and visions in my sight
we are always living in twilight

"Twilight," The Weepies

Jesus says Mother I couldn't stay another day longer
Fly's right by me and leaves a kiss on her face
While the angels are singing his praises in a blaze of glory
Mary stays behind and starts cleaning up the place

"Mary," Patti Griffin

Oh people, look among you
It's there your hope must lie
There's a sea bird above you
Gliding in one place like Jesus in the sky
We all must do the best we can
And then hang on to that Gospel plow
When my life is over, I'm going to stand before the Father
But the sisters of the sun are going to rock me on the water now

"Rock Me On The Water," Jackson Browne

I know I got a bad reputation
And it isn't just talk, talk, talk
If I could only give you everything
You know I haven't got

"Bad Reputation," Freddy Johnston

Oh, give me more than a whisper
If your sayin', I love you
'Cause it's the whispers
That I've never understood

"More Than A Whisper," Nanci Griffith

1 comment:

John N. Cox said...

Pastor Mark,

Those are some great examples you cited in your blog of music that can reach out and touch us where we ache and need solace.