Monday, November 7, 2011

Some Fine Morning

I had breakfast this morning with a number of men from our church. After we had finished, one of the gentleman waited to speak to me. He asked me if I was O.K. I was a little surprised because we all had a great breakfast, pretty-much laughing all the way through it. I wondered what kind of aura I was giving off.

I replied that I was fine and that I actually felt very good. To which he agreed and said that he sensed the same but just wanted to check. After we talked for a while, I got in the car to drive to work and realized that I really did feel good. I then went on to have a great morning--talking to others, catching up with some friends via email and then having the time to work on my blog.

All that positive reinforcement strangely reminded me of how sometimes it seems that just when our work is over and we might have some time for rest that we are called home. I briefly considered that my present joy might perhaps be a sign of some imminent demise... Of course, that is just the kind of morbid thought that I would expect from myself on an otherwise perfect day!

But it is not altogether crazy. Think of MLK's final sermon or Kennedy's warning to the country shortly before his death. Think of Jesus' important work and how just when it seemed that the disciples might be getting it that he was soon saying goodbye to them.

I remember well the last conversation that I ever had with my dad. I remember leaving the house thinking that I had never seen him so much at peace. The next thing I knew I was getting a call at college from my mom telling me that he had had a heart attack. Strange...

I certainly do not sense that my work on this earth is done--I probably won't even get it done, even if I live another forty or fifty years. Still though, it is something to think about. That we all have some stuff to work on down here. And when it is accomplished, it will be time to go home.

Death is a taboo subject in our modern world. We go out of our way to make sure that we only see things that are full of youth and health, vitality and vigor. It is no longer enough that we watch all those shows about celebrities, we now have shows that update us on what is happening with celebrities when they are not doing shows... Coincidentally, I received an email today from one of the local plastic surgery offices, the subject line read, "You can be Beautiful for the Holidays & Save." Since I am having such a good day, I am going to assume that it was SPAM and not the universe trying to tell me something!

Of course, the truth is that death is part of life. And while I am in no hurry to experience it, I also do not want to let it secretly enslave me. What I mean here is that our fear of death can actually keep us from living life. And fear itself is very likely a form of death. In this way, Christian claims about resurrection and eternal life are probably profound truths that we are just beginning to understand.

For those who are looking for the "practical point" in all of this, here it is: In several places, Jesus makes reference to the surprise of the Gospel. Most familiar here, is his statement, "For those who want to save their life will lose it, and those who lose their life for my sake will save it." (Lk:24) But Jesus puts it slightly different later in Luke's Gospel, stating, "Those who try to make their life secure will lose it, but those who lose their life will keep it." (Lk. 17:33)

I sense that there is more here than we generally see. Of course, we understand this in terms of final things. But is not what Jesus is saying here also true in daily or common things? When we think of free people, or people who are truly alive, do we think of people who are all bound-up and worried about things, strategically trying to secure everything and insuring the future? Or, do we rather think of the people that we know who venture their lives--people who, by casting aside fear and anxiety, invest themselves in the people and the worthwhile projects around them? People, who in a sense, die to themselves and thereby also die to their fears.

Alison reminds us of the beautiful craziness of all this... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdRdqp4N3Jw

2 comments:

John N. Cox said...

Pastor Mark,
When I saw you were linking an Allison Krause song, I thought it would be the one she did with the Cox Family: "Everybody wants to go to Heaven, but nobody wants to die."

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwMGvnQa9Xk

John N. Cox said...

Pastor Mark,

And here's a video for the study of John

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzcbFF6KEZE